|Map & Directions:|| Multimap.co.uk|
|Telephone:|| (0113) 226 6000|
|Fax:|| (0113) 226 6050|
|Box Office:||09068 121 680|
|Club:|| Leeds United|
Today's Elland Road stadium, with its impressive facilities, is a lasting monument to Leeds United's triumphant years under Don Revie and is a far cry from the open grass field of Victorian times. Before the turn of the century the land, nestling at the foot of Beeston Hill on the main road to the neighbouring town of Elland, was owned by Bentley's Brewery. It was known as the Old Peacock Ground, named after a local pub standing opposite the playing field. It was from the pub that the club took its nickname of the Peacocks, after being known as the Citizens during the days of Leeds City.
The Old Peacock Ground was bought by Holbeck Rugby Club, for £1,100 in 1897, on condition that it remained a football ground for at least seven years and that the catering rights should be held by Bentley's. Despite problems of getting sufficient labour, Holbeck were able to build a new stand ready for the following season. Rugby was immensely popular in the West Riding, but it was not long before the ground, now known as Elland Road, hosted its first competitive soccer match.
Following a fire which destroyed the original West Stand in September 1956, a public appeal raised £60,000 towards a new one which was opened in August 1957 at a cost of £180,000. The South Stand was known commonly as the Scratching Shed until improvements in 1974 saw an impressive £500,000 new development built with 16 Executive Boxes linked to an Executive Restaurant. This was again improved in 1988/89 when an additional 16 boxes were built. During 1974 plans to link the South Stand with Lowfields Road were shelved, but this was finally achieved and opened in September 1991 and called the South East Corner. This area is used for the visiting fans. The Family Stand was located in this area and it proved so popular that members outnumbered seats. It was therefore moved into the new East Stand.
The East Stand was built in 1992/93 and replaced the existing Lowfields Road Stand. 25 extra Executive Boxes were incorporated during the building of this stand. This was the biggest cantilever stand in the world. The bottom tier is home to Family members which holds 10,000 fans.
The North Stand, commonly known as the Kop, was roofed in 1968 and during the early 80's an electronic scoreboard was installed under the roof. There was a red flashing light located in the roof which if operated required the Referee to stop the game. A similar light was also located in the roof of the South Stand. During the close season of 1994, 7,000 seats were installed to replace what had previously been known as the Kop, making Elland Road an all-seat stadium as directed by the Justice Taylor Report.