|Map & Directions:|| Multimap.co.uk|
|Telephone:|| (0151) 330 2200|
|Fax:|| (0151) 286 9112|
|Box Office:||09068 121 599|
On 25 January, 1892, Everton, after being billed with 150% increase in rent for the 'home' at Anfield, decided to buy Mere Green Field, situated on the north side of Stanley Park.
Upon arrival at Goodison, the first jobs were to level the land, provide drainage and build stands to accommodate up to 50,000 spectators.
Two uncovered stands were constructed; each accommodating 4,000 and a covered stand on the Goodison Road side of the ground was built which held 3,000. On its completion in 1892 it was the finest ground in the country, boasting hot-water boilers, large double baths, a referee's changing room and even a press stand!
In 1938 the Gwladys Street Stand was built and Goodison Park became the only British football ground to have double-decker stands on all sides. Ten years later nearly 80,000 saw the local derby with Liverpool - the record Goodison attendance.
Since those days there have been no major re-development and the club has now successfully bid to re-develop some land for a new multi purpose stadium at the Kings Dock in Liverpool.
The new stadium is proposed to have 55,000 seats, a retractable roof and a movable pitch, not unlike Cardiff's Millenium Stadium. It will also be the main part of a entertainment complex which will feature cinemas, a hotel, a shopping mall and residential apartments. The anticipated cost of the development will be £155m, of which Everton will contribute £30m.