Nobby plays down Toon return - 31/03/2005
Aston Villa winger Nolberto Solano has no plans to quit the club despite being linked with a move back to Newcastle.
The 30-year-old Peruvian, the club's top scorer so far this season, insists he will remain at Villa Park for as long as manager David O'Leary requires his services.
In January, Newcastle approached Villa about taking back the player they sold for £1.5million a year earlier but were flatly turned down, which suited Solano.
"I never heard about their interest in me in any way," he said. "As things stand, I'm only thinking about what we do between now and the end of the season.
"Then I will have one more year left on my contract and we will see what happens. I played five-and-a-half years at Newcastle, but I like it here and I have said I wouldn't move again.
"The manager (David O'Leary) talks to me all the time and if he is happy with me, I will stay. The Villa fans are a big reason why I am pleased with this club," Solano told the club's website avfc.co.uk.
"So I have got one more year left in this country and will stay here until it runs out, or longer if they offer me something else.
"I'd have to think about things and also talk to my family. But I am very happy to be here, because I play football all the time."
Solano played in Peru's 2-2 World Cup qualifying draw with Ecuador on Wednesday and after flying home from South America, will not face his former club on Saturday.
"He won't play," O'Leary said. "If you look back over the years, he's never played in the Premiership games immediately after international duty in South America.
"He faces a long trip back and won't be back in the country until late Friday or possibly even early Saturday. So we're planning for this match without him."
What is your opinion about this article?
Start a new topic at our forum!